Are you a school student who is keen to get a head start on your career and start earning sooner?
At TAFE SWSi you have two options for getting industry knowledge and experience while you’re still at school:

  • you can enrol in TAFE-delivered Vocational Education and Training (TVET) or
  • undertake a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship (SBAT).



TAFE-delivered Vocational Education and Training (TVET)

At TAFE SWSi you can begin training in your chosen career while you are still at school with TVET, a program specially designed to fit around your current school schedule.

As a TVET student, you will attend scheduled classes onsite at one of TAFE SWSi’s colleges, in addition to your regular high school classes.

You will also have access to careers counselling, learning support and extensive library services, and all necessary equipment and uniforms for your course will be provided.

You will also get to meet new people and see what it’s like to study in an adult environment.
As a TVET student, you will receive:

  • credit towards your HSC
  • a full certificate upon successful completion of your course or credit (academic transcript) for the subjects you complete that counts towards any TAFE study you want to do after school
  • the option (with some courses) to take an examination so that your TAFE study counts towards your ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank)
  • a statement of attainment, a Certificate I or II or, in some areas (such as health, financial services and aged care), a Certificate III
  • hands-on training and a head start on post-school employment.
TVET Guide - 

TVET enrolment


School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBAT)


Another way to get started on your career while you are still at school is to do a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship (SBAT).

You can apply in Year 10 or early in Year 11 for a School-Based Apprenticeship (SBA) or a School-Based Traineeship (SBT). These allow you to work in a paid part-time job and to study industry skills at TAFE SWSi while you also study for your HSC.
young boy in overalls holding a mallet in an SBAT class
The SBA is the equivalent to the first year of a full-time apprenticeship, and you can start full-time as a second year apprentice after you leave school.

Both the SBA and SBT give you a certificate of proficiency in the area you train in which counts towards further study and employment.

If you are interested in starting an SBAT, complete a SBAT expression of interest form.

For more information contact 13 7974 or talk to your school careers advisor.

CRICOS Provider Code 00591E    |    ABN 89 755 348 137    |    RTO 90003    |    Website privacy statement