There are five steps to enrolling in a course at TAFE SWSi.

  1. Find a course
  2. Check the course entry requirements
  3. Make sure you have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
  4. Check what you need to bring to enrolment (see enrol and pay tab below)
  5. Enrol and pay, or register your interest
The enrolment process is different if you are;


Find a course

Step 1: Find a course you are interested in

Search for a course using our course search function, or call 13 7974 and speak to one of our friendly customer service officers.

Not sure what you want to do?

Go to our ‘what you can study’ page and browse through the different study areas offered by TAFE SWSi, or take a look at our Career and Study Guide and choose a career that’s right for you.

Or, speak to one of our career advisors/counsellors who can help put you on the right career path.

Entry Requirements

Step 2: Check the course entry requirements to see if you are eligible

Some of our courses have specific entry requirements. Once you have chosen your course and the college you wish to attend, you need to check that you meet these requirements.

This could include qualifications, skills, knowledge, experience and/or minimum age requirements that you must meet before you can enrol. These can be found in the course details.

You can also have your existing skills or previous learning recognised and counted towards your course, meaning you can fast track your training.


Eligibility for access to Government Subsidised training with TAFE NSW

To be eligible for a place in a government subsidised course you must be:
  • an Australian citizen, permanent resident or humanitarian visa holder, or New Zealand citizen
  • aged 15 years or older
  • no longer at school
  • living or working in NSW
  • registered as a NSW apprentice or new entrant trainee.

Click here for more information on Access to Government Subsidised Training.

Temporary Visa Holders

Depending on your visa sub-class, you may be required to pay tuition fees and the TAFE NSW fee. Visit the Temporary Visa Holder enrolment information page for more information.


Step 3: You will need to have a Unique Student Identifier to enrol

What is the Unique Student Identifier?

From 1 January 2015, all students participating in Nationally Recognised Training in Australia will need to have a Unique Student Identifier, or USI. 

This includes students completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course.

Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results (transcript) that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2016 will be available in your USI account in 2017.
Your USI allows you to:
  • find, collate and authenticate your  VET achievements into a single transcript
  • Access your information any-time, anywhere from your computer, tablet or smart phone
  • ensure your records are never lost or misplaced.

How do I get a USI?

It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online.
You can create your own USI online by visiting the USI website.

I have set up my USI – what next?

You can enrol with TAFE SWSi! 
You will need a USI for government subsidised training. Please make sure you have your USI ready for when you complete your enrolment.
For information on 2017 fees visit our course fees page, the Smart and Skilled website, the State Training Services website or call us on 13 SWSi (13 7974)
Enrol and pay

Step 4: Enrol and pay online or in person, or register your interest

Enrol and pay online

Follow the enrolment instructions and complete your enrolment by paying the course fee, which can now be paid via our new Easy Payment Plan for eligible students. Specific course fees are listed against each course. Many courses and students are eligible for subsidised training, concessions or exemptions from the course fee. See our eligibility section in course fees for more information.

Your place in a course is not confirmed until the fee for your course is paid.

The students below are required to attend a college with documentation to confirm their eligibility for study and to determine their fees.


After payment has been made you will be provided with confirmation of your enrolment and further instructions.

If you can't enrol online contact us on 13 7974 and we can help

Some of our more popular courses fill up fast so make sure you get in quick and pay to secure your place.


Register your interest or apply now

Some courses may also ask you to ’click here to apply’ or register your interest. Once you register you will then be provided with details of the selection process which may include:

  • a compulsory information session,
  • an interview,
  • submission of a portfolio or,
  • sitting a test or an assessment before you can complete your enrolment.

If you are eligible to enrol, you will receive an offer from TAFE SWSi and details on how to complete your enrolment.

Registering your interest for a course is NOT an enrolment.


Enrol in person at a TAFE SWSi college

For most courses you will be able to enrol online, however for courses with no compulsory information or testing sessions you can also visit your chosen college, where the course is being run, to enrol in person. Check the enrolment information in the course details or call 13 7974.


What to bring to enrolment

  • Proof of identity, such as a driver's licence or passport. Temporary Visa Holders residing in Australia must bring a current passport and visa to determine eligibility to study and applicable fees.
  • Documents to prove you meet the selection criteria - these include copies of your highest school qualification.
  • Academic transcripts from courses you have completed.
  • Apprentices /Trainees should bring an approval letter from the Department of Education and Communities that indicates a Training Contract ID or a copy of the training contract.

If you receive a benefit or allowance from Centrelink, Veterans Affairs, Austudy or Abstudy, you may be eligible for further subsidies in the form of concession or exemptions. You will need to bring documents to support your claim for concessions or exemption from the course fee.

For government subsidised courses, if you reside outside NSW you need to provide a letter from your employer on company letterhead with your workplace address listed.

Course Fees

Course Fees for 2017

A fee applies for most TAFE NSW courses and must be paid when you enrol. The amount you pay depends on the type of course you study, and on your personal circumstances. Fees can be paid via our new Easy Payment Plan for eligible students. You may also be eligible for a Fee-Free Scholarship.

In 2015, the NSW Government changed the way training in NSW is funded. Under the ‘Smart and Skilled’ changes, the NSW Government is targeting funding towards the skills that are needed for jobs and economic growth. As part of these changes, the NSW Government has released the 2017 Skills List, which sets out priority areas for training. The qualifications on this list will receive government subsidies to make sure training priorities match the needs of the economy. This list includes qualifications that will attract a government subsidy in 2017 plus their prices and fees.
If you enrol in a course on the 2017 Skills List and you are eligible, you will pay a fee set by the NSW Government. This fee will apply to all training organisations in NSW, both public and private.

The 2017 Skills List covers:
  • ƒƒcertificate ll to advanced diploma qualifications
  • ƒƒselect foundation skills courses
  • ƒƒall apprenticeships and selected traineeships
  • ƒƒpart qualifications for key groups and sectors.

To view the 2017 Skills List, fees and eligibility requirements visit:  www.smartandskilled.nsw.gov.au
For more detailed information, please also visit the TAFE NSW website

TAFE NSW fees for 2017 for other government subsidised qualifications and courses

As the State’s public provider TAFE NSW provides training and services for specific groups to meet government priorities outside the Smart and Skilled fee arrangements. Courses are offered across the key programs of:
  • TAFE NSW HSC Studies
  • Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation (TPC)
  • Equivalent of Year 10 secondary education (various Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate II qualifications)
  • Aboriginal Language qualifications
  • Foundation Skills for Learner Drivers
Outlined below are the 2017 student fees for these courses. 

TAFE-managed government subsidised training
Qualification Full fee Concession fee
TAFE Statement in HSC Studies (HSC)(19361) $700 $240
Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC) (10224NAT) $700 $240
Certificate I in Aboriginal Language/s (10218NAT) $220 $120
Certificate II in Aboriginal Language/s (10217NAT) $284 $160
Certificate III in Aboriginal Language/s (10216NAT) $516 $240
Foundation Skills for Learner Drivers (10227NAT) $106 $106

TAFE-managed Targeted Priorities prevocational training
Qualification Full fee Concession fee
Accredited course — Course in English Pronunciation (10085NAT) $0 $0
Accredited course —Vocational and Community Engagement (10093NAT) $0 $0
Certificate IV in Spoken and Written English – Employment (10366NAT) $0 $0
Certificate I in Spoken and Written English (10362NAT) $0 $0
Certificate II in Spoken and Written English (10363NAT) $0 $0
Certificate III in Spoken and Written English (10364NAT) $0 $0
Accredited Short Course —Elementary English Language Skills (10084NAT) $0 $0
Certificate I in Logistics (TLI11315) $0 $0
Certificate I in Construction (CPC10111) $0 $0
Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose HandNear Coastal) (MAR 10313) $0 $0
Certificate I in Animal Studies (ACM10110) $0 $0
Certificate I in Engineering (MEM10105) $0 $0
Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture) (SIT10112) $0 $0
Certificate I in Hospitality (SIT10213) $0 $0
Certificate I in Business (BSB10115) $0 $0
Certificate I in Retail Services (SIR10112) $0 $0
Certificate I in Automotive Vocational Preparation (AUR10112) $0 $0
Statement of Attainment in Foundation Skills Support (13000) $0 $0

You may also be eligible for a concession or exemption, please see information below.

What if the course I want is not on the Skills List, or I am not eligible for a Government subsidised place?

There may be an equivalent course listed on the Skills List that you can enrol in. Call us on 131 SWSi (13 7974) to find out about equivalent courses on offer.
If you choose to enrol in a course that is not on the Skills List or you are not eligible for a government subsidised place you may have the option to enrol in a full-fee version of the selected course.
If this is a diploma or advanced diploma you may be eligible to apply for VET FEE-HELP. For more information about VET FEE-HELP visit www.training.nsw.gov.au/smartandskilled/vet_fee_help.

Are you an apprentice or trainee?

Apprentice fees will be capped at $2,000 for students commencing in 2017.
Trainee fees will be capped at $1,000.

Any student registered as a NSW apprentice or new entrant trainee will be eligible for subsidised Smart and Skilled training, regardless of other qualifications held or previous qualifications completed.

Concession fees for 2017

In 2017, concession fees per TAFE NSW qualification will be set as a flat fee for the qualification level. Students who are eligible for a concession fee include:
  • ƒƒCommonwealth welfare recipients
  • ƒƒdependent child, spouse or partner of a Commonwealth welfare recipient.
2017 concession fees per qualification level
Foundation course $80
Certificate I $120
Certificate II $160
Certificate III and IV $240
Diploma and Advanced Diploma No concession available

Fee-Free Scholarships

The NSW Government’s Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships mean that you can get the skills you need to get the job you want and your course fees are covered.

Fee-Free Scholarship are designed for:

  • young people (15-30) who are eligible for concession fees
  • young people who are or have been in out-of-home care
  • people of any age who are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence.

Qualifications from Certificate I to Certificate IV levels on the NSW Skills List are covered, including Apprenticeships and Traineeships.

Please visit our Scholarships page for more information.

Exemptions for 2017

If you are eligible for an exemption, you will not need to pay any fee for your qualification. Students who are eligible for a fee exemption include:
  • ƒƒAboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students studying at any level
  • ƒƒstudents with a disability
  • ƒƒdependent child, spouse or partner of a recipient of a Disability Support Pension.
Even if you are entitled to an exemption you may be required to pay additional course related charges for purchase of materials and/or equipment.
For specific conditions and more information on exemptions please visit:

Government help for study expenses

When you study at TAFE SWSi, you may be eligible for Centrelink benefits such as Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance. Check with Centrelink to find out what you can claim.

Travel Consession
The NSW Government provides subsidised or concession travel to eligible TAFE NSW students on some public and private transport (conditions apply).
Concession Opal is now available for eligible TAFE Students, including apprentices and trainees.

Find out details on full eligibility and how to apply for the Concession Opal card by visiting the Transport for NSW website www.transportnsw.info/school-students .
You can also call us on 13 7974 or visit Transport NSW.

Please note:

Fees for unsubsidised courses, international students and some temporary visa holders will differ.

If you still have questions regarding TAFE fees please call our customer service staff on 13 7974.


Payment Methods

Cash is not accepted as a payment method at TAFE SWSi.

Accepted methods of payment for course fees and other related charges are EFTPOS, credit cards (Visa and MasterCard), personal cheques, bank cheques and money order made payable to 'TAFE NSW South Western Sydney Institute'.

Non-Payment of Fees

If you have unpaid fees, you will not receive a testamur certificate on completion of your course.
If you cannot access student e-services, such as Moodle, it may be that you are not up-to-date with your course payments. Please go to the student portal to pay.


You may be entitled to a refund of the TAFE NSW fee if you advise the college prior to classes commencing that you are withdrawing.

There may be other exceptional circumstances where you may be entitled to receive a refund, such as, but not limited to those listed below.

You may be eligible for a refund of the administration charge if:

  • you have overpaid the administration charge.
  • you cannot start or continue a course because it has been cancelled by the college or Institute.
  • you are granted Austudy or Youth Allowance within 2 weeks of classes commencing and can show evidence of this to the college.
  • you enrol to repeat a subject but are then granted a pass in that subject by an assessment review committee.
  • you advise the college that you are withdrawing from your course before classes commence.
  • you are unable to continue classes due to extended time in hospital (supported by a medical certificate) and considered at a disadvantage.

Please note, refunds will not be given on concession fees.

Refunds for Short Courses

  • Cancellations advised in writing more than seven (7) days prior to the commencement of the program are eligible for a full refund.
  • No refunds are made for cancellations advised within seven (7) days of the program start. However substitute delegates may attend if a vacancy exists.
  • All courses need a minimum number of students to proceed. If there are insufficient numbers, programs may be cancelled or deferred to another date, and you will be informed. In this case, course fees can either be refunded or transferred towards another TAFE SWSi course.
  • A decision to cancel a program is made within seven days of course commencement. In the event of a program cancellation, we will make every effort to contact you.
  • Final confirmation of program commencement is your responsibility and you should always contact the college two working days prior to program commencement to confirm the program is going ahead.

Other costs

Other charges that may apply:

  • Course related charges
  • Temporary visa holders tuition fees
  • Fees for non-subsidised courses
  • License fees
  • Commercial Recognition fee
  • Car parking (semester or annual fee)
  • Goods and services tax (GST) may be applicable. Ask your local college if this applies to your course.
If you are enrolled in a NSW government subsidised course, your enrolment fee only covers the first attempt of each unit of competency. A separate fee will be charged for any additional attempt to successfully complete a unit of competency:
  • If you need to repeat a whole unit of competency where you need to attend training a fee calculation is determined at the College Customer Service Office.
  • If you only need to resit assessment/s for a unit of competency there is a fee of $120 for each unit of competency.


If you undertake a course to gain qualifications for use in carrying out a profession, business or trade in the course of employment, you may be entitled to claim a tax deduction. Please contact the Australian Taxation Office for more information.

Financial assistance