Did you know…
- NSW is the largest employer of construction workers with approximately 32% of construction businesses.
- TAFE SWSi is the largest stonemasonry, glass and glazing training provider in NSW.
- TAFE SWSi has specialist trade training centres for more than 20 building, construction and allied timber trades vocational areas.We also have the Macarthur Building Industry Skills Centre (MBISC) which offers specialised training for a range of pre-vocational and trade courses.
- There is a shortage of qualified tradespeople in the building, construction and furnishing industries. By 2017, the number of job openings for building and plumbing labourers is expected to be above average.
Source: TAFE SWSi Market Research and www.joboutlook.gov.au
For more detailed information on this industry, please visit the job outlook website. This will give you interesting facts and statistics, such as job prospects over the coming years; weekly earnings and the size of the industry.
To see where a career in building and construction can take you, have a look at our career pathways below.
- Construction finishing
- Construction supervision, management and design
- Furnishing and kitchen building
- General construction
Why study with TAFE SWSi
We offer practical, hands-on training in the areas of construction, construction finishing and furnishing trades. Our teachers are experts in their trade and keep up to date with the latest legislative requirements and provide compliance training.
What we offer:
We provide training in the following areas:
Visit our course search
and get started on the path to a great career, or call 13 SWSi (13 7974) for more information.
TAFE SWSi runs Building Design courses at Granville College. Outcomes of the courses include the ability to work as a Building Designer and Architectural Drafter.
Pathways to university include possible credit recognition in degree courses in architecture and related disciplines, such as landscape architecture and interior design, building and construction courses such as building, construction and project management.
Many students find work in the industry during their courses. Because there are part and full‐time options they are able to vary their work load according to their needs.
Why study with SWSi
Our teachers are experts in their field and and can equip you with the skills and knowledge to work in a fast-paced building design environment.
The projects are all industry‐based with real sites with client requirements encouraging all students to initiate their own design ideas and develop them into practical solutions meeting sustainability needs. This approach takes account of each student’s individuality.
What's on Offer