Liverpool College is well known for its beautiful, historically significant buildings.
Governor Lachlan Macquarie had officially founded the town of Liverpool in 1810 and ordered thebuilding of a brick hospital to house 30 patients and a residence for the assistant surgeon. The original Liverpool Hospital was built in 1813.
By 1821, Macquarie had plans to build a new hospital drawn up by his ex-convict architect Francis Greenway. Work on the new hospital commenced in 1822 and it was completed in early 1830.
From 1830 to 1836 the building was used as a hospital principally to carefor sick convicts. The existence of the hospital stimulated the growth and spread of the settlement.
By 1832 patients of the hospital included convicts from as far away as the Goulburn Plains. There were no kitchen facilities and the northern end of the basement was the only bathing room.
After 1836 the hospital was transferred to the control of the military and apparently used as a military hospital and barracks. The military vacated the site around the mid-1840s and the winding down of the convict system meant that the district could no longer support such a large hospital.
The hospital became vacant in the late 1840s.
In 1852 the government granted use of the building and a sum of £525 to the Benevolent Society of New South Wales to establish an asylum for the sick and aged. Many of the buildings now on the college grounds were built or modified during this time.
In 1918 the Government Asylum became a State Hospital and Asylum and it remained so until the Health Department vacated the site in 1958.
The buildings were then renovated for use as a TAFE College and classes were first held in early 1960. The then Minister for Education, the Hon Ernest Wetherell MP, officially opened the site on 10 July 1961.